Fruit juice is delicious, healthy and easy to make. Learn more about the nutrients and benefits of elderberry juice and how you can make your own.
Elderberry juice is healthy – cold and hot
Elderberries contain important trace elements such as folic acid, iron and potassium. They are especially known for their large numbers vitamin C. This is why elderberry is a proven home remedy for colds and flu a cold. You need to prepare it as soft and fresh as possible so that the ingredients develop their full effectiveness.
It is also included in naturopathy anthocyanin stated. This substance has an anti-inflammatory effect and binds viruses. Therefore, it works especially well against influenza viruses, provided you use it after the first sign of a cold.
Both cold water and hot tea help. If you want hot spring water, just heat it slightly – do not under any circumstances boil. Excessive heat destroys valuable materials.
Elderberry concentrates and powders should help even better, as some of the anthocyanins are destroyed by heat and pressure during juice production.
So elderberry juice is a good addition to strengthen the defense system. In case of prolonged symptoms and severe colds, you should also seek medical advice.
Collect berries for elderberry juice
You can make your own elderberry juice. First you need berries. Ladybugs mostly grow in bushes and on the edges of forests. When the black berries are ripe, you can pick them from September to November.
There are different types of aging:
- Black beans are healthy and edible (but only when cooked).
- des Dwarf bugs are poisonous.
- A distinctive feature: the black elder’s stems hang down as in the picture, but the poisonous ones point upward as a warning.
- In addition, the dwarf elder has a small tooth and an unpleasant smell.
It is best to pick up all the umbrellas and collect the sensitive berries in a basket or an old cloth bag, as the fruits tend to shed heavily. Because the berries are very sensitive, you should process them quickly.
Do not pick the scales from the bushes that are close to the road, because they can become dusty. Animals like birds also live on berries. So make sure you pick less berries on a few bunches. In this way you are not carried away completely empty of the bushes and an important part of the food for the animals of the forest is not lost.
It is very important: Eat as much as you like Do not eat raw! Eating them can cause nausea and vomiting because they contain sambunigrin toxin. However, it decomposes when heated.
Make your own elderberry juice
How to make your own apple juice:
- Wash the beans well.
- Remove the fruit from the pods with a spoon or your hands. Discard immature berries and stem debris.
- Put the beans in a pot and add about an inch of water.
- Let the berries cook for about 15 minutes. They should be soft and crumbly and easy to peel. Do not cook them too long or the important vitamins will be destroyed.
- Drain the berries in an old kitchen towel. The best way to do this is to attach the corners to a second pot and then pour the fruit and liquid over it, so that the liquid water goes into the second pot.
- Mash the berry mixture well and let it soak overnight. If you don’t mind the pieces of fruit, you can also use filo paste (kitchen tool).
Preserve elderberry juice:
- Elderberry juice into bottles or screw-top jars.
- Put the flowers in a pot of water. They should be two-thirds deep and not in direct contact with the bottom of the pot (a tea towel or wire mesh will help).
- Let everything simmer for about 30 minutes (it should be about 70 degrees Celsius).
- Once they have cooled, you can remove the jars or bottles from the pot. Elderberry juice is best stored in a cool, dark place.
If that’s too much work for you, you can also buy ready-made elderberry juice. Recommended manufacturers:
You can also make jelly juice, for example with apples, pears, onions or limes.
At the beginning of summer you can easily get rid of flowers Make your own elderberry syrup.
Read more about Utopia:
Please read our health information.
** with ** or marking orange underlined Some of the supply chain links are affiliate links: If you buy here, you are actively supporting Utopia.de, as we then receive a small portion of the sales revenue. More information.
Do you like this post?
Thanks for your vote!